Tuesday 3 July 2012

11 YEAR OLD ARRESTED

***

"An oppressed people are authorised whenever they can, to rise and break their fetters"
Henry Clay

I will make this very simple. Please read on. 

If you have been on twitter recently or FaceBook, there's a popular hashtag #SudanRevolts that's been going round. After 23years of oppression and Human rights violation, the people of Sudan have decided to stand up against the dictatorial Regime of President Omar El Bashir that's committed mass atrocities. In the past three weeks there have been protests in the country. Friday the 30th of June 2012 saw a great number of women, men, students among others take the streets of Sudan chanting "Al Shaab Yurid Inzgat Al Nuzam", roughly translated as "the people want the fall of the regime". Protesters, activists and journalists were arrested (over 1000) and the police were violent. This is not a new thing when a revolution is taking place, but this is:

"...We waited for a while until a truck arrived carrying around 120 people, all in their twenties. Inside the courthouse, 4 judges were awaiting them. We noticed a little boy get off the truck - he looked to be about 11 years old; he was crying, and stumbling as he walked. At first, we assumed him to be ill. A man asked him: 

“What’s wrong with you, boy?” 
“The police arrested me for no reason” 
“What do you mean they arrested you for no reason? Weren’t you at the protests?” 
“I was on my way from AlDuroshab on my way to my grandmother’s house in Hillat Hamad when they arrested me” 
“Why are you stumbling around like that? Are you sick?” 
“I’m hungry, i haven’t had anything to eat since Friday” 
“They didn’t give you food?” 
“No” 
“Who from your family is here today?” 
“No one. My parents think I’m in Hillat Hamad, and my grandmother didn’t know i was coming, so they weren’t expecting me” 

My friend ran and got him a sandwich from a nearby shop. The man who was asking him the questions decided to post bail for him and, despite the judge’s persistence, took him home to his family. The boy’s name is Hussam, from alDoroshab, and was born in 2001." 

I'm sure you all agree that this is completely outrageous. Now although given the facts, it is difficult for media to cover the #SudanRevolts from the grounds, the people in Sudan have been putting up youtube videos and tweeting updates but it has not gotten enough media attention. I believe media attention is what my people need to be able to take back their country from this bloody regime! 

This is what I am asking you to do, simply tweet all the media houses that you can think of(small or big), the hashtag "#SudanRevolts" or post "Twitter: #SudanRevolts" on their Facebook walls or any other sites to raise awareness on the Sudan Revolts. 

By doing, this you will be empowering the protesters in Sudan as they will get international attention and help bring to light what they are currently enduring, and hopefully through that, they will be successful in overthrowing the regime. On friday they are planning a mass protest and your tweet/share could help their cause succeed. 

Thank you to every single one of you who will do this and kindly share this post(spam pages, spam inboxes - I hate it too but desperate times call for desperate measures) or simply copy paste the above on your blog, Facebook note, websites, send messages, emails and anything else you can think of. While the media is busy covering Tom Cruise's divorce, a whole nation is being oppressed(no offence I love Tom cruise, but this is more urgent), so let us change that. Thank you once again. 


***

4 comments:

  1. That's sooo inhuman. I wish peace will prevail soonest possible. THEY SAY JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wont be long before this tyrants' dictatorial regime comes into a tragic end.I believe sudanese and all lovers of peace across the globe will be celebrating the fall of NCP's government very soon.the young boy's story is so touching and inspiring.that's a great show of courage and bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take heart....all will be well soon

    ReplyDelete